Thankfully the hole wasn't in too awkward a place so I decided that I could probably patch it. I remembered that Jo had posted about embellishing her cardi here. I mentioned this to her over tea (at playgroup naturally) and she offered the use of her Cath Kidston "Make" book - note to self: must now return book.
Having had a browse through I decided that one patch might look a bit odd but there was a t-shirt in the book embellished with stars. So I purchased these items
Some white felt, fusible web and some grey embroidery thread.
I then traced some of the stars onto the fusible web
And then cut them out, pinned them to the felt and cut the felt stars out
I cut out one large star (to cover the hole), two medium stars and four small stars - I do like things to be even, random is definitely not my forte! I then pinned them onto my top to make sure I got the layout right
Ironed them in place (about 10 seconds with a steam iron), having placed a tea towel on the top of the stars to make sure the felt didn't distort with the heat. To make sure they stayed in place (although the fusible web did a great job) I then blanket stitched round each star
If you're not sure how to do a blanket stitch then it's worth searching Youtube, as there's bound to be a video showing you how to do it - I learnt how to ladder stitch the same way.
So here's the finished article
One top rescued from the rubbish bin :)